An ongoing conversation about the changing landscape of public libraries.

Saturday, October 6, 2007

Welcome

The last librarian is a joke, of course. I’m not the last librarian, not even close. But like many librarians, I’ve been told countless times that the field is dying, that libraries are being replaced by Internet-based search engines. Of course, this is far from the truth. The field of librarianship is changing, but instead of dying, the need for educators to assist people with navigating this information is growing.

On a daily basis, I deal mainly with the present of librarianship; I’m confronted with the information needs of the now. But my primary extracurricular interest is the future of libraries: where are we going? What are the changing information needs of our increasingly information-literate and tech savvy society? Who are our primary users and how do we continue to meet their information needs?

These are questions I hope to address here. And, you know, pretty much anything library, technology, and information related.

No comments: